Child abuse and neglect is a serious problem nationally, statewide and in our own community. In fact, San Diego County has the second highest rate of substantiated reports among all counties in California. The good news is that our State, County and concerned and caring people of San Diego are actively addressing the challenge of child abuse. Since 1978, Casa de Amparo has helped children and families heal, grow and create bright futures that will ultimately affect their own families and the future of our communities.
Child Abuse 101*
- Child abuse cuts across all socioeconomic groups, races, and religions.
- A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds in the U.S.
- Each day, four to five children die as a result of child abuse or neglect at home in the United States.
- Most children who die from child abuse, abandonment, or neglect are under the age of three.
- San Diego’s Child Abuse Hotline receives 20,000 substantiated calls each year.
- San Diego County has the second highest rate of substantiated reports among all counties in California.
- About 3,500 children live in foster care each year in San Diego County as a result of abuse or neglect.
- Without additional guidance, more than 40% of youth who leave the foster care system at age 18 will become homeless, incarcerated, or dependent on public assistance..
*Facts from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (FY 2012-2013), San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency (FY 2013-2014), Child Help (2015), and Home Start (2015).
CASA KIDS OUTCOMES
- 91% of Casa Kids in New Directions improved in career and education planning.
- 82% of Casa Kids in Residential Services improved in relationships.
- 62% of Casa Kids’ parents at Hayward Child Development Center decreased their overall stress.
- 19,001 bed nights provided for Casa Kids ages birth to 25.
- 6,453 days of therapeutic preschool and childcare provided at the Hayward Child Development Center.
- 2,042 supervised visits provided for Casa Kids and their parents through the Family Visitation program.
- 20,580 counseling hours provided to all of Casa de Amparo’s programs.
*Facts are from our Client Satisfaction Survey, Desired Results Developmental Profile, and Children’s Functional Assessment Rating Scale (FY 2013-2014).